Friday, March 30, 2012

Frank G. Poe: Saying No To Multiple Sclerosis And Yes To Helping Others

Everyone's Story welcomes author Frank G. Poe as its guest this week. I've always admired those who tackle illnesses head-on rather than permit an ailment to tackle them. Frank was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a term that leaves most shuddering. Although Frank had some fighting to do, he is a beautiful example of how not to let life's nitty-gritties get you down.


First, some questions for Frank:

Shortly after your diagnosis of Secondary Progressive MS, you may have retired from your work at the IRS but you then plunged right into volunteer work as a coach. Kudos to you for seeing your situation as a stepping stone rather than a brick wall! What was the impetus within you that made you exceed a diagnosis that others have found to be devastating?




Knowing doctors are only human, I convinced myself anything negative they said about my future health was a mistake on their part. To this day I still only entertain positive thoughts about my health. Believing the axiom bodies in motion tend to stay in motion and bodies at rest stay at rest, I knew I needed to find a purpose and stay active. Volunteer work is a great way to feel needed while giving back to the community.

What has working with children taught you about yourself, and life in general? Do you have one specific story to brighten our day with hope?

I coached youths from Junior High and young adults from High School. They'd be upset if I called them children. The great thing about young people is they haven't been jaded into thinking there are limitations to what they can do or accomplish. Coaching them inspired me as much as I inspired them. For example, one of the first throwers I coached returned after graduation to help demonstrate to the new throwers, and he convinced the company he worked for to donate to the track team.

Looking back, do you think you, Frank The Writer, would have a whole different writer's eye view of the world if it were not for the forced changes in your life?

I was humbled by my brush with death, and it made me a better person. I believe I've done more positive things with my life since prior to my diagnosis. As for writing, life experiences improve it. The more writers live the better their writings.


Winning Against MS by Frank G. Poe

I believe I'm a champion in the fight against Multiple Sclerosis. Going blind and nearly dying from the disease in October of 1997, I battled back from bed ridden, wheelchair, and walker to cane. I still use a cane to keep from falling, and I regained vision in one eye. I‘ve pledged a combined 6% of my book royalties to three MS charities. My goal is to make those donations substantial. A husband, father of three and grandfather of four, I remain positive. 
Since secondary progressive MS is my diagnosis, I intend to bring attention to the disease for as long as I am able. I’d like to share with you a little about my life before and after the disease. 
I was a public servant working at the Internal Revenue Service as a tax examiner for ten years and as a substitute teacher for local public schools when I was forced into retirement due to MS. Within a few years, I began to volunteer as a track and football coach at the local public high school where I taught with some success. Athletes I coached frequently made it to the state competition and hit the podium. Before I took over as shot put and discus coach, the throwers were drawing circles in the dirt to throw. I brought community attention to the need for an adequate concrete pad and safety netting and within a year the student athletes had both. 
During the same time, I wrote sports articles for the local community newspaper, also, on a volunteer basis. Once again with some success, the paper won an award for best sports section in the state, a section for which I wrote nearly half the articles and took half the photos.
Admittedly, the journalism seems like a vanity issue on my part; however, my reasons for writing were to rally community support for the introduction of high school football, get more young adults active in the already existing track program, and to generate interest in girls’ athletics to help recruit female students to participate in the available sports programs for them. Without getting more young women interested, the school was going to be forced by law to reduce the sports programs available to young men. Thankfully, my efforts paid off with increased girls’ participation and no programs were cut.
After doing this for ten years, the physical demands forced me to take a hiatus from coaching and journalism, and I focused on my books. Still trying to reclaim my life, I wrote Raven Wings and 13 More Twisted Tales. All but two reviews were good, and I was compared to Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe. My stories are for adults not children, and the two bad reviews, 2 out of 5 stars, came from both ends of the spectrum. The far left said my material was too mild. The far right claimed it was too obscene. 

Although I no longer coach, I haven’t forgotten the youth. I write youth oriented blog called The Political Poet where I share free information with students on the types of poetry and creative writing while encouraging them to become politically active.
If anything, I want people to know that having or being diagnosed with a disability doesn’t mean your life is over and you lost your value. You can still decide to do as much as you possibly can, regardless, and service to others is a great way to start. I believe living with a positive attitude produces results, and I'm alive today because of it.
Afterward
Currently, the poor economy is making life hard for many people in the United States and around the world, and many charitable organizations donations are severely decreasing due to the same economic crunch; unfortunately, this fall in charitable contributions comes at the same time these nonprofit organizations’ resources are being stretched thin by the increasing number of people needing their help or services. If you are able, please give to a charity of your choice. Several of the charities to which I’ll donate help fight Multiple Sclerosis by funding research and providing services to people stricken with the disease, but many worthy charities exist from the battle against breast cancer to helping the homeless. If you don’t have money to give, volunteer your time. 
~*~Have you battled an illness and managed to thrive? Would you like to share your encouragement with Frank and others? Have you found creative ways to help others? Please drop Frank a comment on the blog. He looks forward to hearing from you~*~
Author Bio:
An army brat, Frank G. Poe started life a fat, bald baby resembling Buddha, and Okinawan women rubbed his belly for good luck. He earned a Bachelor of Arts from Northern Kentucky University, where he lives now, and is a published and recorded poet. Author of Raven Wings and 13 More Twisted Tales and Star Child and 13 More Twisted Tales, Frank boasts over 15 years of experience as a journalist. A jack of all trades, Frank has worked as a bus boy, cook, florist, golf ball collector, manure shoveler, gardener, landscaper, construction worker, shuttle bus driver, cashier, clerk, work leader, manager, union steward, salesman, instructor, projectionist, customer service representative, tax examiner, quality assurance examiner, writer, editor, managing editor, editor in chief, photojournalist, public school teacher and a coach. 
Relavant Links:
Frank’s blog The Political Poet
The Political Poet teaches about various types of poetry and gives creative writing pointers while encouraging people to become more politically active. 
Each April Dark Butterfly Publications holds a poetry contest to celebrate poetry month. The entry is free. Find out details at The Political Poet.
Frank on Twitter® at http://twitter.com/PoePlace

21 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a very powerful and touching interview! I read somewhere about the amazing effects of positivity for those fighting illness. In the account I read, there was a man who was told he had a short time to live (I don't remember the illness), and that his last days would be excruciatingly painful. He purposefully ignored the Dr.'s words and rented every comedy he could find. He spent the next--I don't remember how long--laughing. Later, the doctors found *no trace* of the illness!

    I also love how you focused on serving others. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! What an example you present for all of us to follow, whether sick by illness, depression, whatever.

    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Jennifer, to Everyone's Story. I agree with you: Frank's story is powerful motivation to embrace life whenever & always. I also heard about that man who watched comedy shows and had turned his illness around. When I'm feeling low, I know any movie musical picks me right up--and no hangovers :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, it is not just mind over matter. It truly is spirit over perception.

      Delete
  2. Frank,
    My sincere thanks for sharing your struggles with MS, the challenges you faced, and how YOU focused on the positive and clarified so many tremendous goals in your life. You truly help and inspire others.
    Several years ago, after a bout with optic neuritis, I was assigned a neurologist and had multiple tests for MS. Like you, I refused to do anything but focus on the positive. Since, I've had optic neuritis several times, but after numerous tests, I've been diagnosed as one of the luck 5% who will have optic neuritis, but to date, not MS - truly a humbling blessing. I've always enjoyed helping others, but again like you, this time-frame helped clarify my life. In addition to writing, I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, an amazing charity who gives a deserving family more than concrete and wood, but a place to begin to believe their dreams can come true. I believe we call all make a positive difference in others lives, and I donate 10% of my proceeds to a charity of my choice. I'm in the process of updating my website, but I'll soon be adding several military charities that I'm a firm believer in. As a military brat, a retired Navy Chief and the mom of three active duty children, these military causes are near to my heart.
    Again, my thanks for your taking time out of your busy life to share. I wish you continued success.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, welcome back to this little corner of cyber space! Yes--I remember your unfortunate turn of health a few years ago & was hoping you'd visit with Frank because you too also overcame your physical plight and give your heart to so many. Blessings right back to you.

      Delete
    2. Diana, your story is inspiring too. I love hearing other's stories doing the same thing for charity, no matter what the charity. I tell people to pick one close to their heart and do whatever they are able. Overcoming an obstacle like your diagnosis just makes your time gift that much more valuable. God bless you and your active duty children.

      Delete
    3. Frank,
      I love hearing as well others inspiring stories. To me it's truly humbling to have another day to see, to go after my dreams, and best, to encourage others to believe in themselves. Have an amazing day!
      God bless,
      Diana

      Delete
    4. Elaine,
      *Hugs* Thank you for being there then and now. Your friendship and support is truly a blessing.
      Diana

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the interview. I have a young friend who has MS; it runs in her family. She looks healthy to a certain degree, but she's had twin brothers, and an aunt and uncle (I don't know who else) die from it, and she is far from healthy altho she fights it. It's a horrible thing.

    Blessings on you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, thanks for sharing. I am all too familiar with how dealy MS is. Besides almost killing me, MS has already taken a first cousin. She fought the disease for many years before passing. I, also, have a second cousin with the disease. Part of the reason I wrote my first book was to warn families to be vigilant about health risks that run in their families such as diabetes or heart disease. Although I was told when they diagnosed me with MS it wasn't hereditary, I believed some forms might be, and I don't think it hurts for families to be aware of it. Early diagnosis with many diseases allows for earlier treatments. With many health issues, early treatment produces better results. In my case it would have prevented my near death experience and probably would have made my recovery easier. This brings me to when denial is a bad thing. Many people asked me why it was important to press the issue about MS possibly being hereditary. I wish it wasn't, but you wouldn't tell a woman who had family members die from breast cancer to ignore having breast exams in order to remain possitive, nor would I want people to be negative and constantly worry they are going to get any disease because it is runs in the family. Being vigilant about your own health is part of taking ownership of your life. The fact is we know more about our own health and family medical history than the doctors we see for 15 minute visits. It is our responsibility to inform them so they are up to date. Now, the doctors have caught up. Recently, some researchers said some families might be more prone to certain types of MS. It is horrible, but I would rather them find out early and get treatment before it progresses which was the case with my second cousin. Knowing of our battle with MS, my second cousin alerted the doctor when symptoms started showing similar to ours. The doctor was reluctant to test because MS still didn't run in families at that time, but he was diagnosed getting treatment far earlier than us. To finish on a possitive note, his battle with MS is starting from a healthier level than we did which translates to a better quality of life for a longer period of time.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, Caroline, to Everyone's Story. MS and other illnesses are truly not cause to celebrate and I'm sorry your friend has it. How tragic it is that it runs in her family. For every one person who has a success story, there are sadly others who struggle. What Frank's story does do is to give us all a little hope to face the unexplainables in life. I can only pray to God that we all will know what it is to live eternally free of pain, whether physical or emotional. I'm glad your friend has you in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Frank and Elaine,

    Thanks for sharing Frank. I love your attitude. Here's my story. When my diagnosis was handed down 16 years ago my response was "I am in no hurry to receive healing. I want to learn everything the Lord can teach me through this disease. I do not want to do another lap around the Sinai, thank you very much!" I am working on a book of those lessons. The original diagnosis was that the form that clobbered me was "benign." After 15 years of my body having to compensate for the parts that don't work so well, Doc changed the diagnosis to secondary progressive. That means the course of the disease has not changed. But the parts of my body that have compensated were not made for the work they have had to take on, therefore they are "progressively" breaking down.

    I went to an MS support group when first diagnosed thinking I would find help, support, and encouragement but decided never to do that again! They were a bunch of people that were into being sick and I didn't care to be around a bunch of sick people. I concentrated on eating right, exercise, my relationship with the Lord and finding what I could learn that would help others. I looked around and saw that my playground had shrunk, but I still had a playground! So, what could I do with what I had that would bring glory to God?

    I had been a teacher. Now the visual difficulties and chronic fatigue made that an impossibility. My legs don't work well and balance is shot--but my mind and fingers work just fine! The Lord promoted me and widened my classroom...to the WORLD! I finally had time to write the book I promised my former boss, John Sandford of Elijah House Ministries, I would write, going into depth on his teaching of burden bearing. The result was two books rather than one: The Mystery of Spiritual Sensitivity, and Highly Sensitive. Whew! that was hard work, so the Lord let me rest by doing a series of four books for children,The Sassy Pants Series! Two are published and two to go. I do lots of intercession,I teach in churches, and other such venues about burden bearing, do readings of Sassy Pants in schools and thanks to the internet, I can keep up with friends all over the world!

    It is amazing what God can do when we offer Him our loaves and fishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Carol. Thanks for visiting today with us at Everyone's Story. Can you see me smiling through the cyber waves from upstate NY? You've put a warm smile on my face just now with your beautiful words of encouragement. I'm sorry you have these health concerns but it sure doesn't seem as if it's become a problematic way of life. May God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing, Carol. I was aimed at a support group early in my diagnosis, and support groups are not for everyone. Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem. All the members wanted to talk about were how bad they felt and all the negative things happening in their lives. I caught myself starting to do the same thing but quickly quit corresponding with the group members instead. I prefer to think positive is all no ill feelings to them. My advice to anyone with a chronic illness is to do what you and I have done. If a support group is positive and helps, stick with it. If they are negative and bringing you down then try to change their attitude to help them, or if they choose to remain negative (as some people do)then leave for your own good. I consider myself to be a very spiritual person, and even in my fictional short stories, I write with purpose. Christians may have to think a bit least they get offended, but deep down I always hope God is entertained by my musings. God bless.

      Delete
  6. Has anyone read this Sunday's edition of Parade Magazine featuring the latest update on actor Michael J. Fox? The article pivots around Fox at the age of 50 and living 20 years with Parkinson's Disease. Although Parkinson's and MS is obviously two different health concerns, I believe what Fox said is relevant to this discussion: "I don't look at life as a battle or a fight... Acceptance doesn't mean resignation--it means understanding that something is what it is and that there's got to be a way through it."

    And the advice he gives to his children: "When you go out the door in the morning, choose happiness."

    I do not have MS or Parkinson's, but surely do have a lot to learn from my guest Frank, and the great Michael J. Fox.

    Gives new meaning to Seize the Day, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elaine,
    Thank you for sharing, Michael J. Fox's quote. So true, each day it is our decision to choose happiness. Each day when I get out of bed I say out loud, "Today is going to be amazing." We see what we focus on. Amazing things happen each day, we just have to 'open' our eyes. Have a fabulous day! *Hugs*
    God bless,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Diana, the only thing we truly control in life is our attitude. We can chose to be possitive regardless of the circumstance. The Creator's plan is unknown to us all. We sgouldn't beat ourselves up trying to figure out why things happen. Put it in the Lord's hands and ask that God's will be done. If we trust in the Lord to handle our problems, you'll find this attitude brings about a sense of peace. Often in my life I battled to control things thinking I could make them turn out the way I wanted only to find the situations getting worse. When I realized we really control nothing our attitudes and put the outcome in God's hands, things got better. Even problems to which I saw no solution worked out. God bless.

      Delete
  8. Great attitude, Frank. Wishing you the best. = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meliss, may the road rise up to meet your feet as well. (an old Irish blessing in case you've never heard it.)

      Delete
  9. Welcome to Everyone's Story, Melissa. And thank for Following the blog. I agree about Frank's attitude and approach on life: he has reshaped my perspective of a lot of things this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a phenomenal week here at Everyone's Story, between our guest Frank G. Poe, and new visitors and returning visitors. Thanks everyone for stopping by, and thanks for those who left such moving comments.

    Frank, thank you so much for your heartfelt, honest testimony. Your story is a true inspiration to live life to the fullest by reaching out to others, and not taking anything for granted. Makes me think twice behind someone's scowl, short temper, and dark circles under eyes. Perhaps we can all offer a prayer for those we know, and for that stranger that passes us by, leaving us to wonder if they're okay.

    And Frank, as you've said to Melissa, may the road rise up to meet your feet ♡

    Have a blessed Easter everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Add This